Staying safe with fireworks, bonfires and sparklers
Fireworks are amazing to look at but they can be extremely dangerous, especially to children. Talk to them about what makes fireworks dangerous and what can happen when things don’t go as planned. Remind them that every person who has been injured by a firework probably thought that it would never happen to them. We recommend that organised displays are the safest way to enjoy fireworks. But, however you choose to enjoy them, there are some simple steps that can be taken to reduce risk around fireworks:
- Only buy fireworks which carry the CE mark, and keep them in a closed metal box
- Always follow the instructions when using fireworks
- Keep everyone well back from the display
- Never return to a lit firework
- Never throw fireworks
- If you have a bonfire, make sure children stand at a safe distance
- If someone’s clothing catches on fire, get them to stop and drop to the ground and roll them in any heavy material (like a curtain)
- Burns from fireworks can be devastating – and happen very easily if you don’t take the correct safety precautions…
Follow the COOL-CALL-COVER advice in a burns emergency:
- COOL for 20 minutes under cool running water
- CALL 999 for advice
- COVER the burn loosely with cling film.
Also, don’t touch the burn or pull at any clothing that might be stuck to it. Seek medical advice for any burn on a child larger than a postage stamp.
For more information, go to RoSPA’s website.